Ethylene glycol is a chemical ingredient found in automotive antifreeze. If it is left uncovered or drained on the floor, dogs and cats may drink it because of the sweet taste. Severe and often fatal poisoning may result. The liver converts the ethylene glycol to a poisonous byproduct. These by-products are then filtered by the kidneys and produce a kidney damage.
Prompt treatment is essential because ethylene glycol may cause permanent kidney damage. If treatment is instituted within the first few hours after the poisoning, there is hope for success. If later, the chance of successful results decrease drastically. Unlike in people, dialysis and kidney transplantation are not readily available alternatives to pets with kidney failure.
Antifreeze is just as potentially deadly to your children as it to your pets. Always dispose of the product correctly and keep containers away from children.
Hospitalization and intensive treatment are required to treat most antifreeze poisonings. Severe kidney damage can occur rapidly. Periodic blood tests over the course of treatment not only reflect your pet's response to medical aid but also help direct the type and intensity of treatment.
During the hospitalization period, your pet will be receiving intravenous fluids to flush potential toxins through the kidneys, an antidote through the intravenous catheter to halt the poisoning process, and a charcoal slurry by mouth to absorb the antifreeze remaining in the intestines.
As the treatment progresses, we will monitor your pet's improvement with serial blood test. These test will be to evaluate the kidney function, this is an excellent indicator of improvement or decline in your pets well being.