HELPFUL TIPS FOR ADMINISTERING EAR DROPS TO YOUR PET
Administering ear medications can often be challenging. Remember that your pet’s ear(s) may be painful and that even a normally gentle and passive pet may respond by biting. You may need to muzzle your pet for this procedure.
· Warm the medication by standing the bottle in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
· Make sure you have carefully read the label and understand th prescription instructions.
· Squeeze the liquid medication into the dropper or prepare the squeeze bottle as directed.
· Gently pull the ear flap straight up using your other hand.
· Apply the prescribed number of drops into the ear canal while
continuing to keep the ear flap elevated.
· Rub the base of the ear against the head in a circular motion. Be cautious and gentle as your do may object to this procedure. You should hear a “squishing” sound as you massage the medication deep into the ear canal.
· Release the ear and let your pet shake its head. If the medication contains a wax solvent, debris will be dissolved so it can be shaken out.
· Make sure you give your pet plenty of praise throughout the procedure and offer a treat after giving the medication .
© Copyright 2002 Lifelearn Inc. Used with permission under license. November 15, 2005 .